"Don't love me because I'm beautiful...Think I'm beautiful because you love me" - anonymous
"I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. I will let you pick which you prefer"

Friday, November 11, 2011

Teaching and Learning Responsibility

I wrote this October 5th, 2011 and blogged it on fb


I'm rather miffed.... I hear parents complaining that their child lack responsibility. I shake my head and seriously wonder.

I've taught my daughter responsibility from a very young age. To be responsible for the decisions you make and not to blame others if they don't turn out or because you made the wrong choice.... I try to guide her in the decisions and choices as well.

As some of you know The Little Witch plays hockey. House League mind you. This is a "TEAM" sport. One of the first rules before she even started this was that she try it at camp before she commit herself to a team. Because if she didn't like it there was no backing out once she was on a team. She had a "RESPONSIBILITY" to the team.

Last year we had an awesome team and only issues with 2 that the parents/child thought it was ok for their child to miss practice or a game for something other than sickness or being away. Most of the parents saw things as I did. Their daughters had a "RESPONSIBILITY" to the team to be at practice. To learn the drills. To go on to the ice and try their best and have fun as well.

Some parents are too busy themself to ensure thier child gets to practice. If that is the case I'm sure another parent wouldn't mind driving. I've done it and as a single parent had to ask someone to pick up and drop off as I couldn't take time off work. Some parents have their child in 4 different things and of course conflicts occur. You can't do this if your child is playing a Team Sport. Or if you do that Team Sport can't be the one that sufferes. Wake up people. These are the parents that are going to whine when their child gets less ice time than a child who was at all the practices. Do they not see that their child is letting the "TEAM" down and that the other team members see this?

This year it seems worse. Last practice 5 were missing. It was a Sunday afternoon at 2 pm. Lets see what tonight brings shall we.

0 comments: