"Don't love me because I'm beautiful...Think I'm beautiful because you love me" - anonymous
"I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. I will let you pick which you prefer"

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Her father strikes again

Today we were to have Turkey for Easter. With Stuffing (home made), mashed, brussel sprouts, gravy, sweet potatoes (gag) and strawberry rhubarb pie..... Just as I was getting ready to make the stuffing the Little Witches father calls to ask her to dinner with his family. They were having German Sausages at his brother's down the street. Awesome.

We made birds nests for her to take with her. Chocolate Rice Krispies shaped into birds nests with jelly beans and peeps.

They left at 5

Not even an hour and half later he calls. He is buggering off. Leaving the Little Witch there to walk home with Opa. She was playing with her cousins.

Now this is the man who even though he lives across the street she see's very little of. Why you ask. Cause his bottle of beer and friends are more important.

She has even said to me that she is not making suggestions for them to do things. He can. She was all impressed when he called and suggested that they go down hill skiing on family day till I said that I had thought it was a great idea and that was why I had suggested it too him.

For the first year after we separated he continued to live here and sleep in the basement. I thought it would be better for her. She had just turned 5. But she saw very little of him. Then I finally told him he had to be out by the end of the year. The day he left she had a little cry asked me why. I explained that I didn't love him anymore. She wanted to know why. I told her maybe when she was older I would explain. "Try me now" was her response. I told her that rather than let his actions hurt me anymore I had stopped loving him. She said she understood and off to sleep she went. She has never cried since over him not being here.

I have explained to her that he is sick. That it has nothing to do with her and I. That until he realizes and wants help there is nothing we can do.

The following year after he moved out she had a couple of sleep overs. Once on his weekend and then when I had to go away. Every other time something came up. He had to help someone. The year after it was her turn. She made excuses. Even to saying "I have to help mummy clean". She may as well have said "I have to wash my hair". It has been like that ever since. They have on occasions gone shopping or skating. But that was only for an hour or two. Oh and I think she had a sleep over at the cottage a couple of times but cried for me so he stopped.

I have left it up to her. If she wants to spend time with him go for it. If she wants to call him go right ahead. But if he is not careful he is going to loose her more than he already has. She wants to spend time with him. To her it looks one sided. That she is the only one making the effort.

At least he calls. Not ever day. Not always sober either. She knows. She isn't stupid. She gets off the phone and says "He's been drinking" or my all time favorite "He isn't listening to me". She has even told me where he is drinking now. How she knows is beyond me.

He also pays child support... not always on time but does pay it. Still owes me for 2 Christmas's ago mind you... this Christmas I didn't even bother to tell him his half. Which reminds me he still owes her a birthday present from last year. Oh well... we can't ask for everything... I hear alcohol kills brain cells and memory.

0 comments: